Sunday, December 5, 2010

Review: the Ped Egg


I'm sure you've noticed, I haven't been a (beauty) blogger long.  But I've always been a fan of make up, lotions, hair things, beauty gear (that is, affordable beauty gear - if it's expensive, I figure let the experts use it on me, right, rather than me doing things with an expensive contraption via trial and error) ...  Well, anyway, this post is about an implement not many get to use, I think.. and this is the remarkable Ped Egg!

We normally take our feet for granted, thinking that its baby softness will last forever.  With wear and tear, however, I noticed my feet - that is, my heels - were starting to feel thick and rough.  The clincher was when a pair of stockings tore in contact with my heel when I was putting on stockings.  That did it.  It was either go for a foot spa of some sort (no time, too busy) or buy a Ped Egg.  I'd first seen the Ped Egg locally in True Value, where it cost something in the region of P1200 (not too sure about this price, but sure that it was more than P1000). I wanted to try it out, but it was a bit hard to swallow specially since the price of one on Amazon was at most $10.  I settled for slathering on foot moisturizer on my heels before going to bed, and wearing socks.  My heels were softer and smoother, but not baby soft.  Well, on a recent trip to Vancouver I found the Ped Egg on sale for CAD4.99 - and I held off, thinking I might find it even cheaper across the border in Seattle, but no luck - it cost US6.99.  So I finally bought it in Canada.

It's essentially a sort of foot grater, which is meant to shave off the hardened skin of the heels and feet.  It's in the shape of an egg, and when opened you have the plastic cover, and the shaver, sort of a grater, which is locked closed over a container (the other part of the egg) which catches the dead skin cells etc.

The grater is meant to be used on dry feet.  You start by taking the grater and rubbing it over the rough areas of your feet (in my case, heels).  That's all it takes.  The rough bits (which are the hardened skin cells) are whittled away and fall into the container. You throw the stuff that's collected in the container.  I admit to an unhealthy fascination with the dead skin in the container.  It was just SO darned satisfying grating them off, seeing the fluttery byproduct in the container, and seeing and feeling smoother, baby soft skin on the heels of my feet again.

I'd definitely buy another one if this one wore out.

No comments:

Post a Comment